Foggie’s Fourteen Provosts
During its 85 years of existence Foggie had fourteen Provosts, whose details are inscribed on the Provosts’ Stone presented to the village by the last Provost, Robert ‘Bingo’ Bremner. The granite block with information plaque is located at the Point at the junction of Main Street and North Street.
These photographs show Mr & Mrs Bremner with two of their grandchildren Holly & Rowan Garrett, and the plaque.
We have not found photographs for four of the Provosts. Contributions would be very welcome:
William Auchinachie (Merchant)
1893 – August 1907
Owner of a general merchant’s business in the Square. He led a campaign to have Foggie become a Police Burgh and was elected as the first Provost, initially with title of Chief Magistrate.
Alfred Bell Whitton MB, CM (Doctor)
8 November 1907 – 24 March 1919
Served as GP for a large practice in Aberchirder and Marnoch for thirty years. An enthusiastic Volunteer, he joined up and served in the R.A.M.C. where he rose to be Lieut.-Colonel .
Charles S Geddes (Chemist & Postmaster)
10 June 1921 – October 1926
Son of George Geddes who had moved the Post Office from South Street to its present location at 5X Main Street. Like his father he was also a pharmacist and publisher of picture postcards.
David Young (Grocer’s Assistant )
8 November 1929 – November 1932
When elected Provost he was an assistant in Stewart’s Market at 1 The Square. In 1932 he went into business as a merchant in a former shooting gallery at 67 Main Street.
John Gregor MA (Schoolmaster)
7 November 1947 – 26 May 1949
Appointed Headmaster of Aberchirder School in 1922 and died while still serving his term as Provost.
John Taylor (Farmer)
1 May 1962 – 7 May 1965
Farmed at Cleanhill Farm on the road to Huntly and was one of several who sold milk round the village from his horse and cart. The first Foggie Provost to have a chain of office.
James A Shand (Schoolmaster)
9 May 1969 – 5 May 1972
Head Teacher of Aberchirder School from 1962, he oversaw the move to the new building which became Aberchirder Primary School in 1969. District Councillor for Foggie from 1974 to 1984.
Photographs of the various Town Councils are quite rare. This one, contributed by Phyllis Wright, shows her father Auckland Smith as Provost in 1955 together with councillors and Town Clerk Frank Anderson:
Back (l to r): John Taylor (Dean of Guild), Rev J C Gunn, Alex Duncan, W Farquhar, Hugh Youngson.
Front (l to r): Frank Anderson (Town Clerk), A Benton (Baillie), Auckland R Smith (Provost), Donald McKay (Baillie), Ian Dunbar (Treasurer).
Back (l to r): Sandy Stevenson, James Shand, Bobby Coull, Laurence Gordon, Robert Bremner.
Front (l to r): Kenny Chisholm, Alex Watt, John Taylor, Hans Hardie, Frank Anderson.
Last Town Council election 1970
There were five nominations for five vacancies, so elected were: Dr W D Black, Alex S Duncan, Gerald McDonald, Henry Thomson, Rev Edward D Walker
The other Councillors were: Dean Of Guild William J Rennie, Bailie R C Bremner, Hon. Treasurer R J McKenzie, Provost J Shand.
No photograph appears to have been taken to mark the end of the Town Council in 1975.