ABERCHIRDER
BOOKS & BOOKLETS

 

Here you will find details, and in some cases copies, of books or booklets written about Aberchirder or the Parish of Marnoch.

Some smaller booklets can be read in full but will require a Flash player to view on a new page.
Adobe Flash player can be downloaded via the link below.

 

   

 

This book was written to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the founding of the village of Aberchirder. The book was launched on 17th May 2014, during a day of celebrations organised by Aberchirder & District Community Association.
For availability, email cliffgudgion@btinternet.com

 

 

When Norman Walker, the last head teacher of Marnoch School, left when it was closed in 1967, he published 238 stanzas of verse recalling his 17 years there. Long out of print, the book is available in Aberchirder Public Library.
 

T.T. Fordyce, who was to become Provost of St Andrews, was born in Aberchirder. The first chapter of this book, published in 1981, recalls life in and around Foggie at the beginning of the 20th Century. Long out of print, it is available in Aberchirder Public Library.

Phyllis Wright, daughter of ex-Provost Auckland Smith, published the first general history of Aberchirder in 1984. Long out of print, the book is available in Aberchirder Public Library.

 

 

This book, written to celebrate the 200th anniversary of Old Marnoch, and 150th anniversary of New Marnoch, tells the story of the Presbyterian churches in Marnoch and their role in the daily life of the parish. It is still available from Marnoch Parish Church Session Clerk.
 

A collection of all Simon Brown's inimitable comic poems together with a biography and recollections of people who knew him. Published in 2006, only a few copies remain unsold. Enquiries should be sent to the foggieloan website.

 

In 2006, Aberchirder Bowling Club held a series of events to celebrate its centenary. This book tells the history of the club and its members, and provides lists of office-bearers, champions and trophies. Copies are still available from the Bowling Club.
 

 

This book, published by the Clan Innes Trust in 2010, contains reprints of a series of articles written in 1932-33 by Thomas Innes of Learney, who was to become Lord Lyon, King of Arms, from 1945 until 1969. He tells of the origins and history of the holders of the title Thane of Aberchirder up to his own acquisition of Kinnairdy Castle and the attached title of Thane and Baron of Aberchirder in 1923. Available in Aberchirder Library.

A pictorial history which tells the story of life in Foggie in the first half of the 20th Century using old photographs, many of them contributed by local residents. The book can be obtained from Stenlake Publishing Ltd..
Published 2010.



 

The Waater Mannie records the extraordinary life of water diviner, healer and shepherd Neil Mutch. Told in his own words and in the Doric tongue, the book can be obtained from Northern Books from Famedram Publishers.
Published 2006.

 


 

In 1999, Aberchirder was presented with a coat of arms at a ceremony in The Square. This programme outlines how the arms was designed. By clicking on the cover above the programme will open in a new window. Requires Flash player. Plenty copies remain unsold. Enquires should be sent here.

 

Click on the cover above to open the booklet in a new window. Requires Flash player.
Published in 2000, the leaflet provides two routes around Aberchirder highlighting a few of the buildings. A few copies remain unsold. Enquires should be sent here.

 

You can read this sixteen page booklet on Country Walks around Aberchirder, by clicking on the cover above. It will open in a new window. Requires Flash player.
Published in 2002, a few copies remain unsold. Enquires should be sent here.

 


Return to In-Print      ~      Return to the Virtual Museum Library

Home   Activities   Businesses/Services   Community   Gift Shop    Site Map   Contact Us   Guest Book   Foggie News   Links

Copyright 2002 ADCA Aberchirder, North East Scotland.