Select Page

Aberchirder & District Community Association

Aberchirder & District Community Association

Foggie Weather

Contact Us

Message at:
ADCA Facebook
@Foggieloan

Copyright ADCA©
2016 – 2022

Follow Us

Aberchirder : A Classic 18th Century Planned Village

The second half of the 18th Century was a time of great change in country life in Scotland. New ways of farming meant fewer people were needed to work the land. Many landowners in North-East Scotland founded planned villages which they hoped would provide work in textiles and other industries. And, of course, the landowners would get extra income from the rents and feu duties.

Religion

rpeden0038

St. Marnan’s Episcopal Church was built in 1824 at the top of Main Street.

Transport

dhay005

Hay’s bus in the Square

Foggie At War

nmckidd002

Home Guard outside the West Hall, North Street

They don’t like it up ’em!

Although Gordon called the village Foggieloan, his successor as owner of the estate, John Morison, renamed it Aberchirder after the thanes of Aberkerdour who lived at Kinnairdy Castle on the River Deveron in the 13th Century [Attract 05]. However, the popular name of Foggieloan – often shortened to Foggie – has survived for over two centuries, and has been incorporated in the motto of the coat of arms.

old Foggie

noerooenvovepvepevnpev
lreovolreerornvoonove

Transport

Over the