Select Page

1920 – 1965

South Street c 1960

Nearly all the 18th and 19th Century houses in Aberchirder had been built without running water and indoor sanitation, and by World War One many had fallen into disrepair. Between 1920 and 1965 the Town Council pursued a policy of replacing slum properties with council houses, which transformed parts of the old settlement as well as expanding into new greenfield sites to the north.